Friday 10 January 2014

Ones to Watch 2014 - Nottingham Artists

Written for NottinghamLIVE 


‘Ones to Watch’ can be misleading, because they are meant to be the tip offs for who is gonna be big, who’s gonna make it, who might be the artist that you can say ‘I knew them before they were famous’ when they come up in conversation… This is simply a list of Nottingham artists who I believe are worth watching in 2014, as I’ve been wooed by their music and believe that you may be too. So enjoy, and keep an eye out for these musicians in 2014, as they are well worth making an effort for.
I caught this band supporting Natalie Duncan at Nottingham Contemporary in autumn 2013 and they blew me away with their musicianship, talent, passion and innovative style. Cecille Grey fuse music genres with delicacy and precision, creating something new which is inspiring and hard not to love. Their EP ‘You. Me’ is one of my favourites, and I can’t wait to hear more from them this year.  


Linking from Cecille Grey nicely brings me to this soulful and stunning artist who pleasantly surprised me during her appearance on the NottinghamLIVE radio show last year. Natalie Duncan is talented but modest, and her understated stage presence lets her music shine through for all it’s worth. Her honest lyrics, beautiful melodic progressions and doubtless talent makes Natalie one of my ‘ones to watch’ for 2014.

Natalie Duncan
Natalie Duncan
Although they have been around for a while now, Captain Dangerous only came to my attention recently, and their gig at Jamcafé in winter 2013 definitely placed them in my good books. They got a fantastic crowd response and for good reason… they are brilliant. Commanding stage presence teamed with fantastic songs make them a definite one to watch if you haven’t already.


Gallery 47
Another artist which has come to my attention fairly recently. The fact that when I heard his music in the background I had to stop what I was doing and question “who is this?” made me realise this was something special. Gallery 47 has achieved recognition nationally in 2013 for his delicate and sensitive acoustic style, impressive falsetto delivery and interesting lyrical content. I hope that I can see a lot more of Gallery 47 in 2014, and his recognition continues.
Josh Wheatley
Josh Wheatley
Even if you have not heard a note of his music, I bet you’ve seen his name dotted around Nottingham a lot this year. He’s made a huge impression amongst much of the Nottingham music scene, proven by the popularity of his songs at the ‘Cover from Another Brother’ event at The Golden Fleece in December, where his songs were repeatedly being covered by fellow Nottingham musicians. His EP launch is January 30thand I suggest you make your way to a Josh Wheatley gig sharpish, as he is definitely one to watch.
Her comeback gig at Rescue Rooms at the end of 2013 marked the end of a year’s hiatus and the beginning of a promising 2014 for Nina. Her music has taken a new, interesting and vibrant direction, which is likely to grab the attention of new audiences. With a new band and an album in the running, I’m looking forward to hearing more from this talented artist.

Nina Smith
Nina Smith
Their sudden rise to fame in less than 10 gigs got the more cynical of us believing there were other hidden workings on… but nonetheless, they have proven themselves to be a talented and hardworking bunch of lads, and that’s admirable. I reviewed their October gig at the Bodega and enjoyed it very much. They are definitely one of my ones to watch for 2014.
This artist writes/produces her own music, and with an in depth knowledge of electronica and ethereal vocals, her debut EP looks to be a stunner, which is highly anticipated amongst her contemporaries. Her teaser trailer promises an interesting 2014 for this artist, and I will definitely be watching.
She has always been a one to watch, and she continues to be. Her talents, passion and unassuming manner set her aside from other performers. With a live band in tow for 2014, I’m looking forward to seeing plenty of her gigs this year. With studio recordings on the way, be sure to grab your copy when it’s released!

Georgie Rose
Georgie Rose

With music on the menu after their studies, Kagoule are in for a busy, and I anticipate rewarding, year. I’m still new to them, but their talents and chemistry are undoubtable and have an air of Band of Skulls about them, and I’m looking forward to more performances from them in 2014.

By Cassia Helme

No comments:

Post a Comment